Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I've got 18 miles to go...

So...last year, ok well actually, I do this all the time, I came up with a list of goals I want to accomplish.  I make lists all the time of things I want to do or see, etc.  On my list was to run the 18 mile race in Long Beach Island, NJ.  Yes, 18 miles.  LBI is where my Grandfather has been living since before I was born and where I have been going every summer since birth.  My Aunt Nancy has run the race and I also wanted to take on the challenge.  This past year, around February or so, I began training.  At first I could not run more then one mile and a half.  But then slowly and steadily I was running more and more and by the end of the summer I was running 6 or 7 miles with ease.   The day of the race was October 12, 2008 and my good friend Sal also ran the race with me.  It was a beautiful day for running 18 miles.  

My mother, sister, grandpa and Laura all came out to cheer me on, along with Sal's family and wife (and friend) Katie.  Around mile 15 I thought I wouldn't make it but...I did.  I crossed the finish line running in 3hrs 12min.  My personal goal was to finish in 3hrs, so I'd say I was pretty close.  Not going to beat myself up over 12 minutes.  I am proud of myself.

1 comment:

chez-sucre-chez said...

dingdong - i have tagged you. this tagging is a weird blog thing.. go to my blog - read the post. do it if you want. i love you and i will see you soon. yeah!